So many things to write! But it was hard to find the right time and right mood to write...and now that it's finally a Friday night once again...I'm so glad that it's finally a Friday night once again! Weekends are precious.
Office has been strangely very cold of late. What a distraction, especially since I'm rushing the work now. My last day is next Tuesday. I smell Freedom! Sweet Freedom! My fellow temp-er's last day was today, so I brought the camera and we took pictures and rested on the nice sofas outside the office. I think they're from the Life shop. They're super nice! The other day, I got bored and went to try out all the different sofas. The two lady editors who walked past me were pretty amused. Too bad one of them told me that such sofas have to be in air-conned rooms because of their (very nice to touch!) material. Just today, my parents went to check out Blue Horizon and promptly fell in love with it. It'll be ready in about a year's time. I guess there's a high chance we'll be moving there...Will it be the 3rd floor with the pool view or 13th floor with the sea view? Something like that. The three of us are going to view it one day too.
Oh! Fantasia's the new American Idol! I'm super delighted. This is like when Mawar won the 8 Days Bachelor contest and Ronald Susilo won the Japan Open finals. Fantasia's cool. But I think she does better with quick songs than slow numbers, although her Summertime was fantastic. Anyway, she's got a good sense of rhythm, great energy, superb showmanship. Oh, I had no idea how dangerous it was to be working in an office on days like this! I was happily and busily being a good proof-reader when suddenly, I heard my very-free-and-nothing-to-do colleague asking somebody else, "Eh do you know who won Americal Idol or not?" And then I remembered that the results were out in America already!!! I got into such a frenzy that I shot out of my cubicle and went to take refuge with another colleague, but then she said in her very endearing Indian accent, "Oh you got the wrong person, I already know who won." Argh!!! And finally I went to hide at my editor's cubicle. She doesn't have a TV at home, so you can be sure that she knows nothing about American Idol. The ironic thing was, just during lunchtime I had agreed along with her that I would read spoilers. But this is different you know! It is! Anyway really, being in an office where everybody (except me) is well connected to the Internet, radio, telephone is very dangerous!!! I spent the rest of my time in the office with my hands in the ready-to-cover-the-ears position. I came home and stayed far away from the Internet, checked my smses at a safe angle, didn't tune in to the news...Everything went smoothly and my mum and I were kept in great suspense just as the producers would have liked it. It got to the point where my mum said, "If they're not going to announce the results after this commercial I'm going to strangle him!" Him, being the host with the most annoying line, Ryan Seacrest.
To all the readers who have been faithfully tracking the progress of Clinical Approach, you would be pleased to know that I've completed Chapter 70, which is a nice 20 chapters away from the end of the epic medical volume. Did some more physics journals last week. It's things like this that make me appreciate Clinical Approach and Zebrafish more. It was the same case with blueprint checking. Oh that one! I dread it.
I feel really privileged to have gotten this job on my first try at working. It's really quite interesting to be working in a publishing company. My colleague brought me on a tour of the 2nd floor where the artists, marketing people and printers were. The artists use Apple computers! Ok that's quite duh right. Level 3 is the warehouse. And I found out how a book gets published...the whole process...It's really cool lah. To think that I'm part of an organisation that publishes books that are taken so seriously by the intellectual community.
No comments:
Post a Comment